I was a terrible blogger this year. No reviews, no articles, just one post about an album’s anniversary. I didn’t even finish this in time to post it before going out of town for New Years Eve. Oh well, it’s been a crazy year. Here’s a brief run-down of some of my favorite musical moments from 2014.
tl;dr version: My favorite albums of the year were A Thousand Surfaces by Hard Girls and Never Hungover Again by Joyce Manor.
These are the tunes I’ve been listening to all year in my ongoing “2014” playlist.
Honorable mentions (aka not available on Spotify)
- The Atom Age – “Jump, Jive and Harmonize” from split EP with Grand Tarantula
- Adolescents – “A Dish Best Served Cold” from La Vendetta
- Bracket – “Caving In” from Hold Your Applause
- Anti-Flag – “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” digital single
- Weep– “What Have I Done to Myself” from Weep
- RVIVR – “Goodbyes” from Bicker and Breathe
- Saves the Day – “Everlasting Everything” from “The Tide of Our Times” single
These were the albums I couldn’t stop listening to this year, in order of release:
- Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues (Total Treble Music)
- White Murder – White Murder (Razorcake / Recess Records)
- Pup – Pup (SideOneDummy Records)
- Masked Intruder – M.I. (Fat Wreck Chords)
- Hard Girls – A Thousand Surfaces (Asian Man Records)
- Adolescents – La Vendetta (Concrete Jungle Records)
- Joyce Manor – Never Hungover Again (Epitaph Records)
- Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack (Hollywood Records)
- Weezer – Everything Will Be Alright in the End (Republic Records)
- Lagwagon – Hang (Fat Wreck Chords)
Once again I went to a ton of shows, some 50 by my count. Here are some pictures from the most memorable ones:
Looking forward to in 2015
- Three nights in a row of Rocket from the Crypt: January 30th & 31st at Alex’s Bar in Long Beach, and February 1st at the Observatory in Santa Ana.
- Sleater-Kinney’s first album in ten years, No Cities to Love, comes out January 20th. Xtine and I will be seeing them May 1st at the Palladium in L.A.
- Swami John Reis & the Blind Shake will release Modern Surf Classics, their collaboration of instrumental surf tunes, on February 3rd. I’ll be seeing them two nights in a row: February 14th at Alex’s Bar and 15th at the Casbah.
- Cancer Bats’ fifth album, Searching for Zero, comes out March 9th.
- Xtine and I will be seeing Alkaline Trio four nights in a row when their Past Live tour hits Santa Ana June 4th–7th at the Observatory.